The following is a step-by-step guide on how to turn a regular shipping pallet into a Patriotic masterpiece!
I started with a rather large shipping pallet that I picked up behind a local home improvement store. It probably measures about 3'x4'. I really wanted one with the slats closer together, but after looking several places I realized that those are nearly impossible to come by! Therefore, I also bought some 6' fir fence planks from the home improvement store as a solution to that problem!
- shipping pallet
- fir fence planks
- red white and blue paint
- paint brushes
- yard stick
- star template (I searched "star coloring pages" and printed off a few stars and cut them out)
- table saw
I found pre-mixed Krylon paint in red, white and blue at Walmart. It was very inexpensive and I didn't have to wait for someone to mix it! The small cans were also the perfect amount and it covered really well!
The first thing I did was measure the spaces between the slats of my pallets and cut the fir fence planks to size to fill in the gaps. I was able to use only 3 planks. I first trimmed the width to 2 1/2 inches wide and then cut them in half to 3 feet long for each one.
I then nailed the fir planks between the slats of the pallet to fill in the gaps!
I totally apologize for how messy the above graphic is, but I wanted to be able to show step by step how I marked off my lines before painting. The first step was to make a box in the top left corner for the stars to go in. The next step is where you see the "white" lines. I used my yard stick to mark off 6" x 6" squares on the rest of the flag. Next, is where you see the "red" lines. I used my ruler to draw from the bottom corner of one square to the top corner of the adjoining square in order to create a chevron pattern. Last, I used a star template to draw some stars in the top left corner. For the star template I just googled star coloring pages and printed some stars off, then I cut them out and traced around them on the pallet.
Above, you can see the black lines all drawn in on the pallet.
Lastly, it was time for painting. I painted the white first, then I used a smaller artist brush to fill in the red and blue. I still need to do a little more touch up on my blue and my stars once it is finished drying, but overall I think it is an amazing statement piece on my front porch!